•  
  •  
ASTHMA

In Switzerland, there are 6% of adults and 12% of children who have asthma symptoms. Asthma is a disease which can be managed but not curable. Asthma is the most common reason for not being able to attend schools, work and participate in leisure activities. Asthma is increasing worldwide without any known reason. About 60% of all asthmatics have allergic asthma, while the remaining 40% are caused by various triggers. These include the sudden change of environment (e.g. cold, heat air humidity), physical (sports) and psychological stress.

The most commonly prescribed medications reduce the inflammation and relax airway muscles, but none of the existing drugs can cure the asthma. Details for diagnosis and treatment can be found on this web page: Asthma
 
In Switzerland about every 12th inhabitant (6-8%) suffers from asthma during lifetime. The causes are varied and include hereditary factors, living environment, environmental factors and allergies a. Asthma may persist from childhood, or occur only in the second half of life. Previously it was assumed that asthma is caused by an increased immune response, but this assumption can explain only allergic asthma. In about 40% of asthmatics changes in air humidity, sports, anxiety or stress trigger asthma. There is no indication of allergies here, therefore, there must be an additional explanation. New models of explanation: In the past 10 years, several studies showed that significant changes of the airway tissue structure occur in addition to or precede chronic inflammation. These structural changes occur in asthma in the upper airways and there is evidence that they are the root cause of the inflammation. On this basis we are looking for new methods of treatment.